Total Pageviews

Monday, August 06, 2007

Happy Anniversary Darling

Yesterday would have been my 30th wedding anniversary if Howard was still alive. As I was drifting off to sleep with tears on my pillow the beginning of this poem came into my head. It was a hard one to write. I still miss him every day, some days more than others.

Thirty years ago we said "I do"
And you’ve been gone from me fifteen
There was twenty-one years before we met
We only had fifteen years in between


I so remember the day we met
And the deep blue of your eyes
I thought we’d have forever
There would never be goodbyes


From that first day we seemed to click
As if you could read my mind
I fell in love so fast and quick
You were so sweet, so good, so kind

Just as fast you felt that way too
In two short days you looked at me
Said you wanted the three of us
To become your family


We quickly planned the wedding
In four months was when we set the date
But we found it did not work for us
We just couldn’t seem to wait


So we got into the car that day
On a sunny August 5th
An hour ride that seemed so long
The “I do’s” were said so swift


So we made ourselves a family
Through all the ups and downs
There was even lots of packing
For the moves through all the towns


That awful day in October
When the call came on the phone
Little did I really understand
You had left me all alone


I’ve managed to hold onto life
And do the very best I can
With only the sweetest memories
Of a very special man


So, Howard, I need to tell you
Happy Anniversary, my sweet dear
Although I’m celebrating all alone
I can somehow feel you here

1 comment:

Angela said...

Susan,

Thanks for posting and sharing this. It was a tough read since our stories are somewhat similar but still appreciated.

I finally posted a new entry and hopefully both of us can keep this up.

Thanks for your friendship.

Angela